And of course, no sooner than I finished my previous post and decided to deploy the site than I ran into a bunch of problems, some bigger than others.
First, I had to set the DNS record to point at GitHub Pages. And that takes time to propogate and I am impatient.
The DNS wasn’t propogating and GH was tellng me that I’d configured something wrong, so it recommended that I set A records to point at the GitHub Pages IP addresses…except it didn’t actually link to where I could find those IP addresses.
I finally found them buried in GH’s documentation, but I’ll be damned if I can find the page again, even with searching through my browser history.
I also set up the CNAME record at the same time.
Then I had to set up the GitHub workflow to actually deploy from my repo to the page–and unbeknownst to me, there was a critical piece of missing information from the workflow as written.
And that piece of information was setting cname: peculiar.monster in the deploy script.
Seriously. CNAME kept on disappearing from the gh-pages branch and I couldn’t figure out why until I looked at this GH Action which mentioned setting CNAME, while the Hugo-specific action–the one I chose to use–did not mention it anywhere. No wonder it was being removed!
So, with that sorted, I turned my attention to why either the theme or Hugo wasn’t respecting my `